I am dusky/brown skin complexion. But till date by God's grace I never had to face any problems or harassments due to that. Maybe coz I was taught and grown up around people where a person is seen beyond her skin color and for the color of her soul. Recently I came across 'Dark is Beautiful' campaign and happened to read many testimonials of people who had faced not so good moments cos of their skin color.
For centuries fair or light skin has been a symbol of prominence, superiority and higher social ranking. An Indian girl's marriage proposals and her worth have been and still often are governed by the hue of her skin and I guess it happens mostly in North India (correct me if 'm wrong). Skin whitening products market is just rocketing nowadays and is almost a billion dollar industry with some outrageous products that lightens even your underarms and private parts.
But brown skin have it's own advantages. So I thought of penning down Seven such plus points bestowed upon us due to our complexion.
1. Diverse ... From brown chocolate to dark chocolate, from warm caramel to sweet cinnamon our skin comes in myriad of shades. And all are equally Beautiful.
2. Kissable ... I never hesitated to step into the sun at any time of the day, except when my headaches bothers me. Been dusky gives an added advantage to embrace sun whenever you want without fearing much about its UV rays.
3. Unattainable ... I always love to hold closer something that is unattainable to others. My skin for example. The western world yearns for a warm glowing skin and we Indians, just wanna get rid of them which we got without going to the beach or any tanning saloons.
4. Luminous ... There's something radiant about our skin. Whether sun kissed or naturally almond roast. A 24x7 glow is something that's gifted to us.
5. Versatile ... Brown blends so easily with others. Like wise our brown hues go great with anything. It just pops against the bold and bright blues, reds, yellows and pink and tags along with light shades and gives a contrast against white and black.
6. Delicious ... Chocolate is the most delicious food ever. Should I explain more?
7. Bye Skin cancer .... Another advantage to having more melanin is that we are less susceptible to skin cancer.
Every women is beautiful despite her skin or her features. A woman should be judged for the daughter, grandchild, friend, aunt, wife and mother she is and not for her complexion. Kudos to all dark/brown/wheatish/black/white women out there.
This is my second post written for the Write Tribe Festival of Words.